Friday, June 17, 2011

Leisure Turkish Style

Çai on the Bosphorus














Art on the Bosphorus (new favorite museum... so many lady artists represented here!)


Posted by Picasa
Entrance to the 400 some year old Turkish bath where a woman violently scrubbed my body in a room with lots of other naked strangers... if I had a dollar for every time on this trip my mother would have wanted to douce me in Purell I would be a bazillionaire. This was one of the stranger rituals I've partaken in, but it was pretty sensational lying on a communal, hot marble slab sweating my brains out in a room that's been used for the same purpose for nearly half a millenium. I really like watching foreigners try to navigate bathing culture. Having spent some time trying to negotiate the politics of an Icelandic women's locker room at a hot pool I am relatively comfortable (I repeat: relatively) having no idea where to go or what to do while completely naked. Watching the panic and nervousness grow on the face of a novice in one of these situations never fails to make me chuckle.

No comments:

Post a Comment