Wednesday, April 20, 2011

When You Buy Toilet Paper...

You really feel like you're living in a place for real. Trip #2 to La Boqueria was an utter success. I walked in with 20 euros in hand and walked out with shrimp, salmon, more fruit and veggies than Chiquita Banana could fit on her head, and enough dried fruits and nuts to last me for however long those Jews spent in the desert.. (hey it's Passover, right?)

The market is an ideal place for me to try out my spanish. My vocabulary is now on par with a two year old, so I know my numbers, fruits and vegetables, and how to say a little more or a little less. And when in doubt, pointing is an option. However, even in english buying fish is a real challenge. I have no clue how many ounces of fish I alone can consume, let alone kilos! So when the woman asks how much I want, I say in spanish: just for me for two days and she gets the idea.

My roommates are consistently amazed by the fact that an American wants to eat fruits and vegetables. Perhaps they assumed I would dine nightly at the McDonalds on La Rambla? I try to deflect their comments by explaining that we have a bad stereotype in America because quality produce is expensive, and many people can't afford to eat this way. On that note, time for lunch!












No comments:

Post a Comment